The festival of Karva Chauth is being celebrated with pomp across the country today. On the occasion of Karva Chauth, married women observe a Nirjala fast and pray for the long life of their husbands. According to religious belief, if fasting is done with true devotion, then Mother Parvati bestows the blessings of being always fortunate. The fast of Karva Chauth is considered complete only after offering arghya to the moon after seeing the moon. The moon has started sighting in most areas across the country. The married women are observing the moon and completing the fast.
Moonrise has more importance on the day of Karva Chauth. On this day fasting women eagerly wait for the moon. Today it is considered necessary to see the moon. The moon rises at different times in all the states of India. There is not much difference in this time. The sighting of the moon has happened in almost all parts of the country.
Worship like this when the moon comes out-
For moon worship, there should be water in the thalli for Ardhya, water and sweets to break the fast.
– Salute the moon. Give half. Then offer sandalwood, akshat, flowers, roli and other worship materials.
Touch your husband’s feet by applying tilak. Feed me sweets Drink water from their hands.
Give the contents of the honey kept in the plate to the mother-in-law or the elder of the house. Offer them karwa while paying obeisance and seek blessings.
According to religious beliefs, if the moon is not seen, it should not be considered as bad luck. The moon may not be visible anywhere due to the weather. It is common for this to happen. If you do not see the moon, break your fast like this-
1. It is said that if you do not see the moon on the day of Karva Chauth fast, then women can have food after sunrise the next day.
2. It is believed that if the moon is not visible on the day of Karva Chauth, then women can see the moon sitting on the head of Lord Shiva. Worship the moon, apologize and complete the fast.
3. It is said that if the moon is not visible, invoke the moon and worship it by law. After this, complete the fast by meditating on Maa Lakshmi.
4. It is said that at the time of moonrise, worship by facing the direction of the moon. While meditating on Maa Lakshmi, break the fast after worshiping your husband.
5. According to astrology, if pregnant, elderly and sick women are not able to see the moon, then they can break the fast without moon sighting.
The main deity of this fast is Shri Ganesh.
All the fasting women break their fast by offering Arghya to the moon at night by drinking water from the hands of their husbands. Kartik Krishna Chauth Vrat is also known as Sankashti Ganesh Chauth Vrat. The main deity of this fast is Shri Ganesh. Laddu should be offered to Ganpati on this holy day. Use of Tulsi in Ganpati Puja is not appropriate. Whereas Dubbhi (grass) and Bel leaves must be offered to Ganesha. Under the ethos, there is a tradition of looking at the moon with a sieve and drinking water from the hands of the husband. One should pray to Ganesha to protect him from the ten directions by chanting Ganapati Mantra and reciting Ganapati Atharvashirsha.
When will Karva Chauth fall in the year 2023- In the year 2023, Karva Chauth fast will be kept on 1st November.
See the moon of Karva Chauth in pictures-